Tired of slurping a bowl of cereal and cold milk before setting off to work or college? Adding a protein punch to your breakfast might just be what you need to give yourself an extra dose of energy, shake up your first meal of the day. What’s more; starting your day with protein will keep you fuller for longer and help you eat less.
Here are three swaps for your usual breakfast to get you started.
Strawberry chocolate overnight oats
This twist on your usual oats gives you a protein kick, as well your fill of fibre and healthy fats to keep you energised for the day.
- 1/2 cup oats.
- 1/4 cup milk.
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yoghurt.
- 1 tsp honey.
- 1 tbsp chia seeds.
- 1 tbsp dark chocolate chips.
- 10 almonds.
- 3-4 strawberries, sliced
- Add the oats, milk and Greek yoghurt to a mason jar.
- Then add the chia seeds, dark chocolate chips, almonds and sliced strawberries.
- Close the jar with a lid.
- Place in the fridge overnight.
- To serve, remove the lid, drizzle with honey and stir well before eating.
Braised kale frittata
Besides upping your protein for the day, this scrumptious breakfast also contains antioxidants and iron.
- 6 large eggs.
- 4 large egg whites.
- 3/4 tsp salt.
- 1/2 tsp black pepper.
- 3 tbsps parmesan cheese, grated.
- 2 tbsps chopped oregano.
- 2 cups kale.
- 3/4 cup chopped cherry tomatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees.
- Whisk the eggs, egg whites, cheese, salt, pepper and oregano in a bowl.
- Spray a nonstick pan with cooking spray and turn the heat onto medium.
- Cook the kale and tomatoes for three minutes, and then stir in the eggs.
- Transfer to the oven and finish cooking it for 20 minutes.
- Cut into wedges to serve.
Spinach and egg breakfast wrap
Eggs have six grams of protein per serving. This wrap also has spinach which is chock-full of vitamins, fibre and calcium, making for a powerful breakfast.
- Nonstick cooking spray.
- 1 packet baby spinach, chopped.
- 4 eggs.
- 4 egg whites.
- 1/2 tsp salt.
- 1/4 tsp pepper.
- ½ cup grated cheese of your choice.
- 1 avocado, sliced.
- 4 wholewheat tortillas.
- Hot sauce (optional).
- Spray a nonstick pan with cooking spray or use some oil for this recipe. Turn the stove plate on to a medium-high heat.
- Add the spinach and cook for two minutes, until wilted.
- Whisk the eggs and egg whites in a bowl.
- Add the eggs to the spinach with salt and pepper. Stir and cook for three to four minutes.
- Spoon the egg mixture onto each tortilla and sprinkle with cheese.
- Add the avocado and fold. Cut in half to serve.