During the first trimester your body goes through many changes, and the hormonal changes affect almost every organ system in your body. No one said growing a baby was easy! Most pregnancy symptoms are experienced in the first trimester, and it is during this period that women generally feel their worst – nauseous, tired and moody.
Common symptoms experienced during the first trimester include:
- An upset stomach accompanied with nausea and vomiting
- Excessive tiredness and fatigue
- Cravings for certain foods that you wouldn’t normally eat
- Increased urination – especially at night
- Tender and swollen breasts
- Implantation bleeding – this happens when the embryo is implanted in the uterus during the third or fourth week after the last menstrual period. It’s often mistaken as a normal period.
- Mood swings
- Weight gain
- Weight loss – if a woman suffers from severe morning sickness and is unable to keep anything down
Although many of these early stage symptoms can be debilitating at times, the good news is that they often go away as your pregnancy progresses through to the second trimester. Pregnancy signs and symptoms aren’t experienced by all women, some just have a much easier first trimester while others experience extreme symptoms.
Find out more about the second trimester – week 13 – 28.