We’ve shared which drinks stain or weaken your teeth, so it’s time for some good news: here are 8 foods that are good for keeping your teeth white and strong. And many of them are delicious!
- Cheese is rich in calcium, protein and phosphorus, and these can safeguard against enamel-eating acids in your mouth. Which is why ending a meal with a bit of cheese makes sense.
- The herb basil isn’t just good for its fragrant taste – it has a natural antibiotic that reduces bacteria in your mouth. So, pile it into salads, make yourself some fresh pesto or just chew a leaf.
- Onions and shiitake mushrooms both help reduce bacteria from growing in your mouth, which is another good reason to include one, or both, in a meal.
- Do you need a reason to eat some fresh pineapple? It acts as a natural stain remover!
- We know that it’s full of vitamin D, but salmon also provides calcium, and both these nutrients are good for healthy bones and teeth.
- Guavas, apples and pears all help you to produce more saliva – which may sound gross, but it isn’t – it helps you to rinse those stains away. Cucumber and cauliflower, too.
- Did you know that green veggies full of iron (such as spinach and broccoli) help to form an acid-resistant barrier that can protect the enamel on your teeth? They do!
- Carrots contain vitamin A, and it isn’t just good for your eyes: it’s part of healthy tooth enamel, too.
So, whether you love cheese, fruit, herbs, vegetables, salty or sweet, there’s something toothsome on the list for you.