Although some people avoid eating avocados because they’re relatively high in fat and calories, the truth is they’re also packed with essential nutrients and heart-healthy compounds.
Avocados are delicious and versatile, and here are a couple more great reasons to include them regularly in your diet:
- They’re packed with carotenoids and vitamin E, which help with digestion, eye-health and “good” cholesterol levels. They’re also packed with protein and potassium, which makes them good for building muscle, promoting healing and keeping you in a good mood.
- They’re high fibre, so they keep you full and satiated. They also contain folate, which helps protect your heart and is associated with a lower risk of heart attacks and heart disease.
Including the right kinds of fat as part of a balanced lifestyle is vital, and healthy choices for omega-3 fatty acids include: avocados, nuts and seeds, olive oil and oily fish like salmon, trout, mackerel and fresh tuna.
- 2 tablespoons low fat mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 wholegrain tortilla wrap
- 1 skinless cooked chicken, sliced
- 1 small mango, peeled and sliced
- Handful baby spinach leaves
- Mix together the mayonnaise and chilli flakes.
- Slice the avocado and toss gently in the lemon juice to avoid browning.
- Spread the mayonnaise down the middle of each tortilla. Top with the avocado, chicken, mango and spinach leaves. Roll up the wraps and serve immediately.