“Tonsil what 스케치업 2019 한글 다운로드? Are you serious?” Yes. You may brush your teeth twice a day and floss after every meal, but this doesn’t always mean that your breath will be minty fresh – bad-smelling breath can also be caused by tonsil stones.
Before we tell you about tonsil stones, we need to talk about your tonsils – do you really know why you have them?
Your tonsils are found at the back of your throat and their main function is to fight and prevent infections by stopping viruses and bacteria from entering your throat.
What are tonsil stones?
Oddly enough, your tonsils (which are supposed to protect you), are the reason for tonsil stones.
Your tonsils have small gaps on their surface that actually trap bacteria, mucous and even dead cells. You may not even know you have them because they blend into the rest of your throat; they are sometimes only detected by X-rays and/or CT Scans.
The trapped particles begin to calcify (harden) and this is why they are called ‘stones’. It’s common for people to get small tonsil stones, but when a large one forms, it can cause a number of symptoms.
Symptoms of large tonsil stones
These are the possible symptoms after gum disease and/or cavities have been ruled out.
- Bad breath. This is the main symptom of having tonsil stones and is worse if you have a tonsil infection at the same time. The reason that you have bad breath is because the bacteria causing the infection release a rotting-egg smell.
Other possible symptoms
- Problems swallowing foods and liquids.
- Sore throat.
- Ear pain.
Prevention and treatment
According to Dr Harold Katz, a bad breath expert, the best things that you can do to lessen the chances of getting tonsil stones are:
- Brushing the teeth and tongue twice a day.
- Rinsing the mouth with a mouthwash.
- Drinking water after a meal to wash down food particles that may remain in the throat.
- Avoid a diet high in dairy products. Bacteria thrive on protein and dairy products are rich in protein.
- Avoid excessive alcohol consumption, since alcohol is a diuretic and causes a dry mouth.
If the tonsil stones become very large, a specialist will remove them, surgically. There’s no need to worry, it’s a simple procedure and recovery time is quick.
Do you want more information about oral health? Well, why not give us a call! By downloading the Hello Doctor app and subscribing to our services, one of our doctors is just a text message or phone call away!
Any advice you receive remains private and confidential and we are here to help you answer any question you may have. We are looking forward to hearing from you!