Following a Low-carb High-fat (LCHF) diet in summer when you truly feel like steak and a leafy salad isn’t too hard, but winter brings on a yen for comfort foods reflector. Don’t panic! There are plenty of warm, delicious recipes that are on-plan, like this Chicken Tikka Masala – enjoy.
Preparation & Cooking time – 60 minutes.
- 250ml (1 cup) extra-thick yoghurt
- 15ml (1T) grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Salt and black pepper
- 500g skinless and boneless thighs
- 45ml (3T) butter
- 10ml (2t) olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 22ml (1.5 T) minced ginger
- 1 red chilli – minced without the seeds
- 30ml (2T) tomato paste
- 10ml (2t) paprika
- 5ml (1t) garam masala
- 7 Roma tomatoes, diced, or 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 7 ml (1.5t) salt
- 500ml (2c) water
- 125ml cream
- 1 handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Putting It All Together
- Mix together the yoghurt, ginger and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Put the butter and oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli, and fry lightly until golden.
- Add the tomato paste and cook until darkened – about 3 minutes. Add the paprika and garam masala and fry for another minute. Add the tomatoes, salt and water. Bring up to a boil, then turn down and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Then take the pot off the heat and allow it to cool for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the grill and cover a baking sheet with foil.
- Take the chicken out of the marinade and arrange the pieces on the baking sheet. Grill for about 5 minutes on each side, or until browned and cooked all the way through.
- Puree the sauce in a blender and pour back into the saucepan. Bring it to the boil and add the chicken pieces – reduce the heat right down and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add the cream and chopped coriander just before serving.
Source: You Magazine Low-Carb on a Budget insert – Tim Noakes recipes developed by Jonno Proudfoot and David Grier