Who says that holiday dessert has to be fruit-cake, trifle or mince pies Download the butterfly from the road? These moist chocolate brownies have a delicious little sting to them – and they’re not only vegan, but also gluten-free!
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 shot espresso or 1 Tbsp instant coffee dissolved with 5 Tbsp hot water
- 2 cups cooked and drained chickpeas
- 250ml any dairy-/soy free milk
- 5 tablespoons raw cacao or regular cocoa powder
- 1.5 cups almond meal/freshly ground almonds
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder or tapioca/potato starch
- ½ teaspoon chili or cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C
- Oil a square baking tin, or line with parchment paper
- In a bowl over a pot of simmering water melt the chocolate together with the coconut oil
- Remove from the heat and stir in the coffee until emulsified.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients and mix until smooth in a food processor.
- Add the melted chocolate and mix again.
- Pour into tin and bake for 25 – 30 min, and don’t over-bake the brownies: the batter should still be a little wet inside when you insert a skewer or knife.
- Let it cool, then cut into squares and decorate with sliced almonds.