Stress screen lock. Every one of us suffer, and react to it, in different ways. It can hit some of us much harder than others. So, what causes it? And what can we do to lessen the effects of stress? Let’s find out.
What is stress?
Think back to the last time you felt your heart begin to race, you became flushed and your breathing rhythm changed into short, sharp gasps…is that a familiar feeling? Well, that’s stress. It’s also known as the ‘fight-or-flight’ response.
Stress can be triggered by anything…from a last-minute change of a deadline, to struggles in your personal life. I
Conditions that may be caused by stress
Here’s the good news…the majority of stress-related conditions are manageable! The following medical conditions all have stress as a common trigger:
- Heart-related diseases
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
So, by solving a few key questions and taking a few steps, you can beat stress and lessen and/or manage the effects of these conditions.
How to begin your stress-beating journey
- Think about what may be causing your stress. Like we have said, it can be triggered by any type of situation. So, take some ‘me time’ and write down the different circumstances that have given you the ‘fight-or-flight’ feeling.
- If you’re struggling, speak to your family and friends. They know you well and will have a good idea of what stresses you out.
- Have you been able to find certain situations? Great! Let’s draw up your treatment plan.
Your plan for a stress-free lifestyle
- Lifestyle changes. Not following a healthy diet and a lack of exercise is one of the main reasons for conditions such as obesity, diabetes, hypertension and heart problems.
So get up, get moving and your stress will begin to disappear…and ease these medical conditions. It’s time to get started. Find great workout and nutrition guides on our blog!
- Remove stressful situations from your life. By now you’ve figured out what’s been causing your stress – now, remove it from your life. It’s not worth risking your health by living a nerve-racking life.
- Be realistic. The majority of us get stuck on the stress cycle and become ill because we have unrealistic expectations, adding unneeded pressure to our lives. There’s a big difference between ‘needs’ and ‘wants’ – find your balance.
- When to see your doctor. If you have tried everything we have mentioned and you are still feeling stressed and you’re experiencing symptoms that disturbing your daily life.
The WRONG ways to relieve Stress
There are no quick-fix solutions! You have to put in the work…just like everything else in life. You will not beat stress and your medical conditions with:
You may feel better for a bit, but it won’t last – you’re actually giving stress what it wants and it will come back and hit you harder than before.
Written for Hello Doctor by Grant Wood