Another low GI food, sweet potatoes cook much more quickly than you think. You can do them under the grill or on a barbecue and they always turn out well.
• 1kg sweet potatoes (scrubbed)
• 2 garlic cloves
• 2 tablespoons ground cumin
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. Heat the grill to high. Cut the sweet potatoes into wedges, or chunky pieces about the size of walnuts and put onto a baking tray that will fit under your grill.
2. Chop or grate the garlic then mix with a large pinch of salt and pound to a paste with the tip of you knife. Mix this paste with the cumin, olive oil, lemon juice and a little pepper. Then using your hands, mix it with the sweet potatoes so that they all get coated.
3. Grill for about 10 – 15 minutes, moving the potatoes around after about 5 minutes so they brown evenly. They’re done when you can easily get a knife point into one and they’re tinged brown.
4. An easy variation is to coat the sweet potatoes just the olive oil and lemon juice, then sprinkle with low-sodium seasoning before grilling.