Dogs play such a big role in our lives – as pets, guide animals, drug sniffers and guard dogs, they form an important part of our society centos 톰캣 다운로드. Studies even show that dogs help us to exercise and to heal! As you’re reading this, you may be thinking of your furry family member, or your childhood pet.
However, dogs can bite. Sure, your dog would never bite anyone! But studies show that dog bites are most common in young children – especially boys – between 5 to 9 years of age! It’s probably because children are less careful when it comes to poking around in Pooch’s food dish or pulling his ears!
How to avoid dog bites
While it may seem unlikely that your sweet-natured poodle or Labrador will ever bite anyone, here are a few tips that will make it even less likely:
- Don’t leave small children alone with a dog, no matter the breed of dog, or its past behaviour.
- Teach the kids to respect your dog’s personal space – such as his bowl while the dog is eating, or his kennel. It’s just good dog manners!
- Explain to the kids that it’s not wise to grab at a toy, a bone or food in the dog’s mouth
- Also train everyone not to approach strange dogs without supervision, because even cute puppies have sharp teeth!
Treating a dog bite
Should anyone get bitten, remember that most dog bites aren’t too serious – don’t panic. Treat the bite with simple first aid, but see your doctor if the skin has been broken, as even minor bites may become infected. Here are some first aid steps for a minor bite:
- Wash the wound immediately and thoroughly by running it under warm water for a few minutes.
- Squeeze the wound gently to encourage it to bleed, unless it is already bleeding freely
- Use painkillers, such as ibuprofen to help relieve the pain and inflammation.
- Deeper and more severe bites will need hospital treatment to remove any damaged tissue and clean out the wound properly.
Your doctor will look at the wound and make sure it’s properly cleaned. You may need a rabies shot, and if your tetanus vaccine is out of date, you’ll need one of these too. Your doctor will usually prescribe an antibiotic to stop any infection.