When you have a new baby, spending lots of time in the kitchen is the last thing on your mind Internet Explorer certificate! However, while you’re breast feeding, it’s very important for you to take care of your health, and keep your strength up. When you’re breast feeding, your body provides your baby with everything it needs. And although it’s important to drink plenty of water and other sugar-free drinks while breast feeding, eating a variety of healthy foods is just as important.
If you’re looking to lose some of your pregnancy weight, then don’t start dieting as soon as your baby’s born; breastfeeding is a brilliant way to shed the extra kilograms – so you can rather focus on eating healthily during the day. Opt for plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, and choose easy to digest proteins, and high-fibre wholegrain options.
For something that’s fresh and easy to prepare, and packed with the vitamins and nutrients you need, try this delicious chickpea and pesto salad.
Chickpea and Pesto Salad
- 1 x 410 g tin chickpeas, drained
- ½ cucumber, cubed
- 2 tomatoes, cubed
- 1 yellow pepper, cubed
- 1 slice feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 handful of salad sprouts
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2-3 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) olive or avocado oil
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) basil pesto
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place all the salad ingredients in a large bowl and mix through.
- Mix oil and pesto and season to taste. Add dressing to the salad, toss through and enjoy as a side dish or light meal. And that’s it – we told you it was easy to prepare