It’s not pasta which is fattening, it’s the sauce you put on top that adds unnecessary calories. Here’s a low fat pasta salad recipe with a creamy Italian dressing, which can be used on other salads too! This makes a quick and delicious summer lunch dish.
Italian Pasta Salad
- 2 cups pasta (rotini or bow tie pasta) cooked and drained
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup green pepper strips
- 3/4 cup of above dressing
Mix all the salad ingredients together in a large bowl and set aside while you make the dressing. Only add the dressing just before you serve the salad – to avoid it becoming too soggy.
- 1 cup fat-free salad dressing (not mayonnaise)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Mix all the dressing ingredients together and put it in an airtight container for 1 or 2 hours to allow the flavours to develop. This dressing will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.