- 1 cup (250 ml) coarse mealie meal
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) baking powder
- 1 cup (250 ml) cake flour
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) cayenne pepper or paprika or to taste
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) low-fat maas or buttermilk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sunflower oil
- 1 x 410 g tin cream style sweetcorn
- Preheat oven to 180 C and lightly grease a 1.5l bread tin safari attachments.
- Place dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Combine the maas, eggs, oil and sweetcorn. Mix into the dry ingredients until well blended.
- Spoon into the bread tin. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for a few minutes. Turn out onto a cooling rack.
- Grate 2-3 baby marrows and add to the mixture. Stir ¼ cup grated cheese, preferably reduced fat, into the batter or sprinkle half on top.
Makes 1 loaf