This is delicious, warming and really easy. Plus, you get to use chicken thighs which taste great and save you money. All in one pot!
They cost less than chicken breasts, and they pack a lot more flavour! Here’s something delicious and easy that makes a warming mid-week meal.
- 6 large chicken thighs, with skin and still on the bone
- Salt to season
- 300 g assorted mushrooms (shitake, baby button, brown mushroom and enoki), chop the bigger ones to the same size as the buttons.
- 2 Tbs butter
- 8 sage leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3/4 cup dry white wine or chicken stock
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1/4 cup cream
- Zest of 1 lemon
- freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 200 °C.
- Melt butter in an oven proof frying pan, lightly salt the thighs and put them in, skin side down, and brown until golden all over. Remove from the pan.
- Add the mushrooms, herbs and garlic to the pan juices and until golden and fragrant – don’t overcook.
- Add the cream, wine/stock and simmer uncovered for 2 minutes.
- Season to taste. Add the chicken thighs by putting them in between the mushrooms.
- Put into the oven for 25 minutes or until the chicken thighs are cooked through and falling off the bone. The skin should be crispy and the cooking liquid reduced to a nice sauce.
- Stir the lemon zest into the sauce, season again to taste and serve with rice, pasta, new potatoes or any side dish of your choice – even a fresh salad! This should serve 6 people.