Summertime, holiday time – and that means braai time Kakao Talk pc version! If you choose to light the fire in the late afternoon or evening, that probably means some leftover chops, chicken or steak. Here’s a great idea for lunch the next day, and you get the family to look at salad in a whole new way!
Ingredients for beef salad
- Leftover cooked steak or seasoned chops
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash coarsely ground pepper
- 2 cups torn lettuce leaves
- 1 cup torn rocket leaves
- 1 cup torn baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped green or red pepper
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives (optional)
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yoghurt
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- Remove any fat, bone or skin from the meat, slice thinly into strips and place in a bowl.
- Add the onion, salt and pepper; toss to combine.
- Layer the spinach, rocket and lettuce on a salad plate or platter
- Top with the meat strips, green/red pepper and olives.
- Combine sour cream and lemon juice – taste to see if it needs more salt or pepper before serving drizzled over the salad.
Here’s another dressing option:
Mix together 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons of orange juice and 1 tablespoon of wholegrain mustard. Taste to see if you need to add salt or pepper to taste, and serve alongside the salad for people to help themselves.