Bacon grilled cheese
Makes 2 sandwiches
- 4 slices honey oat bread
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- Mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 4 slices crisp-cooked bacon
- 1 small avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 2 tomato slices
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Minecraft 1.14.4 Shader. honey
- Butter one side of all the bread. On the unbuttered sides of 2 slices place cheese, bacon, avocado, and tomato. Combine mayonnaise and honey. Spread on unbuttered side of remaining 2 bread slices. Place mayonnaise side down on top of tomatoes.
- In a pan, cook over medium heat 4 to 6 minutes, until toasted and cheese is melted, turning once.
Lamb pitas and yoghurt sauce
Makes 8 servings.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 kg lamb stew meat (cut into pieces)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 ¼ tsp salt,
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried basil
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 8 pitas warmed
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown lamb in batches. Transfer lamb to a slow cooker, reserving drippings in the pan.
- In the drippings, sauté onion over medium heat until tender, 4-6 minutes. Add garlic and tomato paste; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir 1 teaspoon salt, oregano and basil. Add to lamb. Cook, covered, on low until lamb is tender.
- To serve, dice enough cucumber to measure 1 cup; thinly slice remaining cucumber. Combine diced cucumber with yoghurt and remaining salt. Fill pita with lamb mixture, tomatoes, sliced cucumbers and yoghurt mixture.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled lamb mixture in freezer containers. To use, move the mixtures into the fridge overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stir occasionally and add a little broth or water if necessary.
Golden crispy chicken sandwiches
- 3 to 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup honey mustard
- 12 slices whole-grain bread
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 ripe pear, thinly sliced
- 12 slices Swiss cheese
1. Slice chicken breasts in half horizontally, creating thin cutlets. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes, turning once, until no longer pink in centre. Remove to plate.
2. Whisk eggs, milk, nutmeg, and cinnamon together until well blended in a shallow dish. Spread mustard on 1 side of each bread slice; place mustard-side up on work surface. Layer 6 slices evenly with 1 piece of cheese, spinach, pear, chicken, and a second piece of cheese; top with remaining slices of bread (mustard-side down). Gently press together.
3. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Using a wide spatula, carefully dip each sandwich into egg mixture, coating both sides. Place in hot pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, turning once, about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
1. If you prefer, bake the sandwiches in a 200°C/400 F oven until golden brown and crisp.
2. Add sliced ripe avocado, or crisp Granny smith apple for a delicious variation. Enjoy with honey mustard sauce.