How much do we love autumn Fifa 18? Not too hot, not too cold – and all those great seasonal veggies to incorporate into your favourite meals. Here are some savoury combinations.
Grilled portobello mushrooms
- 12 large portobello mushrooms, stemmed with gills removed.
- 6 tbsps balsamic vinegar.
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil.
- Sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs.
- 1 cup grated Parmesan.
- 4 tbsps freshly chopped parsley leaves.
- 4 tbsps freshly chopped basil leaves.
- 12 slices fresh mozzarella.
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C.
- Toss the portobellos in the balsamic vinegar along with, ¼ cup of olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange the mushrooms on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let them cool to room temperature.
- While the mushrooms are cooling, mix the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, herbs and the remaining ¼ cup olive oil.
- Place 1 slice (2 if the mushrooms are large) of mozzarella in the cupped side of each mushroom. Place the bread and herb mixture evenly over the mushrooms and pop into the oven for five to six minutes or until the mozzarella is melted and the bread and herb topping is golden brown.
- Serve either hot or at room temperature and enjoy.
Bacon-wrapped mealies topped with garlic and jalapeno butter
- 4 mealies or corn on the cob.
- 1 cup plain cream cheese.
- 250g streaky bacon.
- 100g butter.
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic, crushed.
- 1½ fresh jalapeno chillies, finely chopped.
- 3 tbsps fresh chives, finely chopped.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C. Boil or steam the mealies for 20 minutes, then refresh them in cold water and pat dry with a paper towel. Cut each mealie into 3cm rounds or just slightly bigger than the width of the bacon.
- Spread each round with some cream cheese and wrap with a piece of streaky bacon. Make sure you cover all the kernels. Use a toothpick to secure the bacon. Gently grill the bacon-wrapped mealies on the braai until lightly charred or alternatively, chargrill on a hot griddle pan.
- Finish off in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.
- For the spicy butter, place the butter in a small saucepan over low heat and melt gently for a minute. Remove from heat, stir in the garlic and chilies and place back over low heat for two minutes.
- To serve, drizzle the spicy butter over the warm bacon-wrapped mealies and sprinkle fresh chives on top.