Prepare your breakfast in advance for those busy mornings with these simple, healthy and filling overnight breakfast meals Download adobe imageready.
- 1/3 to ½ dairy milk, almond, cashew or coconut milk.
- 1/3 to ½ cup rolled oats.
- 1/3 to ½ cup yoghurt, optional.
- 1 tsp chia seeds, optional but highly recommended.
- ½ banana, mashed, optional.
Serving suggestions include fresh or dried fruit, nuts, nut butter, seeds, protein powder, granola, coconut, spices, citrus zest and vanilla extract.
- Add the desired amount of milk, oats, yoghurt, chia seeds and banana to a jar or container and give a good stir. Place it in the fridge overnight or for at least five hours.
- In the morning, add additional liquid if you’d like. Once you get the desired consistency, top with fruit, nuts, nut butter, seeds, protein powder, granola, coconut, spices, zest or vanilla extract.
You can store this overnight oats mixture for up to two days. If you don’t add the banana, it can last you up to four days.
Loaded breakfast casserole
- 1kg breakfast sausage.
- 8-10 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled.
- 8 large eggs.
- 2 2/3 cups whole milk.
- 1 ½ tsp salt.
- 1 ½ tsp ground dry mustard.
- 1 tsp dried parsley.
- ¼ tsp black pepper.
- ¼ tsp paprika.
- 340g wholewheat bread.
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- ½ cup shredded Gruyere cheese.
- Minced fresh parsley, for garnish.
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish.
- Dollop of sour cream, for garnish.
- In a large skillet, brown and crumble the sausage until cooked. Drain and set aside.
Use a bread knife to cube the bread into pieces, then set aside. Combine the shredded cheddar and Gruyere cheeses, and then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, milk, salt, dry mustard, dried parsley, black pepper and paprika. Whisk until combined.
- Place the cubed bread pieces into baking pan. Top with crumbled sausage, bacon, and ¾ of the cheeses. Pour egg custard over the top, using a wooden spoon to gently push any unsoaked bread down into the custard. Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheeses.
- Cover the pan with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the fridge, uncover, and let it sit at room temperature while the oven preheats to 350°C. Bake, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve hot, top with garnishes if desired.