It’s getting colder outside, but while temperatures are dropping, food prices are still going up Legend of Zelda Wild Breath! Here is a fragrant, golden chicken soup recipe that will make everyone feel better without breaking the bank. It’s not hard to make and it even freezes well!
- 4 chicken thighs on the bone, excess fat removed
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive or avocado oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 3 celery stalks with the leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, cut in diagonal slices
- 3 baby marrows, cut in diagonal slices
- 375 ml dry white wine, pure apple juice or diluted rooibos tea
- 1, 75 litres water
- 6 thick slices fresh ginger
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) dried origanum and 2 bay leaves
- 150 g broccoli, cut in florets
- 100 g green beans, cut in thirds
- 15-30 ml (1-2 tbsp) lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and fry chicken, without any oil, skin side down until golden brown. Turn portions over and fry on the other side for a few more minutes. Spoon out and set aside. Remove the skin of the chicken if preferred.
- Heat oil in the same saucepan and sauté onion, garlic and leeks until soft. Add celery, carrots and baby marrows and sauté for a few more minutes.
- Stir in the wine, water, bay leaves, ginger and origanum with the chicken. Cover with a lid, and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked. Spoon out the chicken and remove the meat from the bone. Discard skin and excess fat if you haven’t already done so.
- Add broccoli and green beans and simmer for 5 minutes or until the broccoli is just cooked. Add the stripped chicken and heat through. Season to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper and stir in the parsley. (Serves 6)
For more soup recipes:
Recipe: Food Consultant, Heleen Meyer