Everyone wants to be healthy. If you’re reading this then you probably have regular access to the internet and the ability to find out what you need to get and stay healthy.
But it’s not always about the latest diet, food combinations, fitness fad or super-food. No, being healthy is often much simpler than that. Speak to the healthiest person you know, and you’ll probably find that they’ve made small, vital changes to their lives which have become daily habits.
So what are these people doing? Here are the top 5 habits of super healthy people:
1. They control their portion sizes. This needs to be managed all the time: at home when you dish up, when you pack your lunch, and when you order food at a restaurant. And while dropping sugar and empty carbs from your daily diet goes a long way to helping you reach your goals, it’s just as important to watch how much you eat at each meal time.
2. They get their heart rate up, and exercise regularly. You know you need to exercise, but going for a stroll once a week, or hitting the gym “when you feel like it” just won’t cut it. Healthy people get their heart rate up by exercising most days of the week. So, follow their lead and get moving! The more you do it, the easier it gets, so start with something you enjoy – like jogging, swimming or yoga.
3. They eat breakfast. And we’re not talking about sugary breakfast cereals or sweetened drinking yoghurts. A good breakfast that will keep you full till lunch time, includes foods like whole grain bread, boiled eggs and low-fat cheese.
4. They get enough sleep at night. Sleep impacts every area of your health: from your skin, metabolism and mood, to your immune system and digestion. Your whole system benefits from you getting enough sleep each night – so aim for 7-8 hours of uninterrupted zzzz’s – or take a nap during the day if you can!
5. They laugh (genuinely) every day. Laughter – the genuine, belly-aching kind – has proven therapeutic benefits. It lifts your mood, it relieves stress, it bonds relationships, and it works different muscles in your body. So, pick up the phone and call your favourite go-to friend, watch a comedy, or even just take a moment to think about the funniest situation you’ve been in.
It’s true that we can’t control everything in life, but your health is one aspect that you DO have a lot of control over. So give yourself every chance at having a good, long life.