We gave your top 10 most popular health questions to our resident doctor to answer – this is what Dr Thomson came back with:
1 Total Recall 1990 Download. Is it normal to “spot” between periods?
No, vaginal bleeding between periods is not considered normal. It has a variety of causes and could be due to a serious underlying condition. It’s best to see your doctor for a medical examination to determine the cause and appropriate treatment plan depending on the diagnosis.
2. What’s the best way to loosen wax build up in my ears?
Over-the-counter wax softening eardrops can be used if the eardrum isn’t perforated. However, if the problem persists then make an appointment to see your doctor, so they can syringe your ear with lukewarm water for better results.
3. Is there a home remedy to remove warts?
Try covering the wart with duct tape for a week. Remove and soak for 10 minutes in warm water. Then, gently file the area with a pumice stone or emery board. Repeat for up to 2 months until the wart disappears completely.
4. What foods help boost my fertility levels?
Truth be told, the only thing we know for sure is that too much or too little food significantly hampers fertility. So, the best thing you can do is eat sensibly and in moderation, maintain a healthy weight, and treat yourself to a few “mood foods” of your choice. Cook up a storm with your partner, and enjoy the baby making process. Remember, when baby comes along its going to be fish fingers and toast soldiers for a while ;)
5. The top 5 things you can do right now to reduce acne
Anything that reduces stress will help to reduce outbreaks of acne. In addition to that, the top 5 things you can do right now to reduce acne are:
- Get more sleep – at least 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep a night
- Lose the sugar! Stick to eating low GI carbs, and avoid processed and oily foods
- Exercise – this helps minimise stress, regulates metabolism and improves blood flow
- Drink more water – at least 2 litres a day
- Cleanse, tone and moisturise daily, with products that are gentle on the skin and don’t dry it out.
6. The top 5 foods that cause headaches
- Alcohol: no surprises here!
- Chocolate: Not everyone is sensitive to it, but it is bad news for people whose migraines are triggered by chocolate
- Mature cheese: it’s high in tyramine, which has been linked to migraines and headaches
- Food containing nitrites, including processed meats and fish
- Foods rich in MSG such as sauces, seasonings, packaged and fast foods, and dried snacks.
7. Why is my eczema worse in dry, winter months?
Quite simply, the dry air “pulls” moisture from the skin, making it drier and itchier.
8. What is the gram to teaspoon ratio for sugar content?
There are 4.2 grams of sugar in a teaspoon.
9. Get soft, shiny hair – with things you have in your kitchen cupboard!
Heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil until warm to the touch. Massage into your scalp, comb through and wrap with a towel. Leave on for at least 20 minutes or overnight if possible (you can sleep with a shower cap to protect your bed linen.) Then simply shampoo as normal.
10. How much sugar is in a glass of wine?
This will vary depending on the type of wine, but on average there is 1 gram or sugar per standard glass of dry white wine, and 1,5g per standard glass of dry red wine. Sweet wines will naturally have much more sugar.