Every woman dreads the orange-peel monster. The appearance of dimpled skin on your thighs, buttocks and hips is what we call… cellulite.
It’s the appearance of fat under your skin that pushes through the connective tissues, making it look lumpy and uneven. Anyone can have cellulite, irrespective of shape and size, even supermodels!
When dimples are not so cute…
The dimples in the flesh are caused by the layer of fat underneath your skin that’s squeezed between connective tissues from the muscle to the skin. This is relatively normal and no surgical procedures are needed as the appearance can be reduced. For women, hormones play an important role in the development of cellulite.
Got it from your mama?
Genetics do play a role. This is dependent on how your body stores fat and the impact of the tissue band on the fat. With age, your skin also loses elasticity.
Cellulite tends to occur in the:
- Lower back
- Inner and upper back of thighs
- Inside and back of upper arms
- Upper back below shoulders
Does food cause cellulite?
Excess sugar from refined and processed foods, play a role in the development of cellulite. It is worth it to consider a low-carbohydrate and high-in-healthy-fats diet instead, to help reduce the appearance of cellulite. Limit excess salt intake as this increases water retention. Remember: eating fat doesn’t necessarily cause fatness!
Can it go away?
Unfortunately, not. Cellulite happens naturally, and while there are creams and procedures that can help reduce the appearance, there isn’t a ‘cure’ for cellulite.
How does this monster grow?
Grade 0: No visible cellulite.
Grade 1: Orange peel skin is visible when the skin is pinched. The cellulite is not visible when standing or lying down.
Grade 2: Cellulite is visible when standing but disappears when lying down.
Grade 3: Standing and laying down, the cellulite is visible.
Home fixes to ensure good circulation:
- Dry rubbing: improves blood circulation and removes the build-up of toxins in your body.
- Green tea: helps with killing free radicals in the body and could speed up weight loss.
- Cayenne pepper: this fat-burning spice can boost your metabolism and blood circulation while getting rid of the appearance of cellulite and flushing out toxins in the body.
- Water: helps the body metabolise fat, grow thicker skin to reduce cellulite appearance and cleans out your toxins. Drink up!
Exercises that may help curb the appearance of cellulite: