Why you should throw away your dish sponge, today!

Your dish sponge is dirtier than your toilet seat android url 이미지! It’s true – the tool that you use to “clean” up spills, dishes or messes is claimed to be the most germ-infested thing in your home. It’s time to dish out the dirt on your trusty scrubber.

Why your sponge is dirty

So, how can a cleaning tool be dirty? It all stems from how it’s made: “It has a lot of nooks and crannies, so as you clean up a mess with [germs on] it, some of the organisms become lodged in between the sponge,” Dr. Philip Tierno, a clinical professor at the Microbiology and Pathology departments at NYU Langone.

Now, think about what and how many items you clean with your sponge every day: dishes, knives, forks, counter-tops…to name but a few. And the biggest culprit? Food!

Remember the last time you cut a piece of raw, red meat and/or poultry (chicken)? You had to clean that cutting board – it may have had blood or salmonella (a food-poisoning bacteria) on it and now it’s on your sponge.

After your meal, you wash your dishes with that same sponge that is now packed with disease-causing germs, and this how they get transferred.

“Phew, I’m a vegan, I’m safe!”

Well, not quite – you see, vegetables could be contaminated with bacteria called E. coli, which can cause diarrhoea and even urinary tract infections (UTIs).

How to really clean your dirty sponge

  1. According to dr. Tierno, it’s best to use a chlorine bleach solution: “Make a disinfecting solution by mixing one part bleach with nine parts water and drop the sponge in the mixture from 10 to 30 seconds (or longer). “This will kill all of the organisms growing in the sponge,” he says.
  2. SECRET CLEANING TIP: You can use your microwave. Simply drop your sponge in a bowl of water and put it in the microwave. Then, let the water heat until it’s boiling – it will kill any germs lurking in there.
Read  8 ways honey can help your health

While cleaning your sponge will remove germs, it does have a shelf-life. If it has a foul smell or slimy feel, just replace it with a new one. Not only will your kitchen be cleaner, but you’ll also lessen your risk for getting sick.


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/17/sponge-germs- kitchen-blech_n_6140236.html

http://www.eatright.org/resource/homefoodsafety/four-steps/wash/dos- and-donts- of-kitchen-sponge-safety