Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon & chives
Don’t worry if you forgot to make a breakfast reservation for Valentine’s Day. In just 35 minutes you can make your special someone a healthy, wholesome breakfast – in bed of course!
Eggs and salmon are packed with protein and omega-3 fatty acids (essential, healthy fats). It’s the perfect combination of foods to give you an energy kick so that you and your lover can spend the whole day with each other.
Did we mention that this meal contains only 16 grams of carbs? So, if you’re banting, you’ve got nothing to worry about – indulge without the guilt. We wish you a very happy Valentine’s Day, filled with love and joy.
- 2 English muffins, halved
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 8 slices smoked salmon
- chopped chives, to serve
- A little butter for spreading
For the hollandaise sauce
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 3 egg yolks
- 125g unsalted butter, diced
- It’s best to make the Hollandaise sauce first. Put the lemon juice and vinegar in a small bowl and add the egg yolks. Next, whisk with a balloon whisk until it’s light and frothy.
- Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk until mixture thickens. Steadily, add the butter, whisking continuously until it’s thick – if it looks like it might be splitting, take it off the heat and whisk for a few minutes. Season and keep warm.
- To poach the eggs, bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the vinegar. Next, lower the heat until the water is just simmering gently. Stir the water so that you create a slight whirlpool and then slide in the eggs one at a time. Cook each egg for about 4 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon. As we know, poaching an egg can be quite tricky, so maybe you’d like to practice a bit before the big day! Have a look here for an instructional video on how to poach an egg.
- Once you’ve successfully poached the egg. (Or just scrambled them after a few desperately failed attempts!) it’s time to toast and butter the muffins. Add a few slices of salmon on each half, cover your creation with the yummy Hollandaise and add the chopped chives as garnish.